Vendor Spotlight: Lou Steven’s Glam Squad
This week’s Vendor Spotlight is on Lou Steven’s Glam Squad! We first met Lou when she was a one woman operation and it has truly been an honor to watch her grow into what is now the Lou Steven’s Glam Squad. Over the years they continuously win awards for being the best in the business and we know you will love them as much as we do! We hope you enjoy their interview below.
1. How did Lou Steven’s Glam Squad get started? “Once upon a time…” haha, no really… Way back in 1990 Lou had a small one chair studio in her home off of her living room. Brides would come there to meet with her for their test run appointments and she would do their hair and makeup for them and see how they wanted to do things for the big day, just like we do the preview appointments now. Except were in a cool downtown studio space rather than off the side of her living room.
Lou worked as a one-woman show from 1990 – 2007 when Amanda moved from Wisconsin to Virginia and became the first Glammie! It was just the two of them for a few years, until they added 4 more girls, Queenie, Whitney, Malory and Sara. We call them the “OG’s (the original glammies) :)
In 2013 Amanda came on full time as CEO and that’s when the business really expanded. We now have a team of 22 stylists and growing by the day! We really are a well oiled machine and it helps so much for the brides on their wedding day to know that this is one area they don’t have to worry about, we’ve got it handled!
2. What services do you provide? On site hair and makeup…and all that entails! We can handle your engagement beauty sessions, boudoir sessions, bridal showers, luncheons, bridal portraits, wedding day (of course) and even anniversary sessions or maternity shoots! Anytime you need your hair and makeup done professionally, we’re your go-to gals!
3. Do you do only offer on site services or do you have a studio? We have a studio downtown at 101 W Broad St, inside of The Shoppes at the Renaissance. Brides typically come there for their preview and portrait appointments but we go on site for wedding days. You can request to get glammed up in our studio anytime though, that’s the great thing about being mobile. If there’s an outlet for our irons, we can work anywhere to get you ready!
4. Do you travel outside of Richmond? All the time! We do destination weddings (our favorite was the Bahamas-a few pics below), we travel up and down the East Coast frequently for weddings too. We’re happy to go anywhere with you, we love to travel!!
5. Give us one funny or crazy story that you have seen while glamming a bride for her big day? Hmmm…just one? Something that comes to mind would be just a few weekends ago actually! It was the big weekend where Hurricane Joaquin was in town…bad timing Joaquin! Mother Nature should know NOT to impact on a wedding weekend! Anyway, we had 12 weddings lined up for that weekend since it was such a popular date. One of our poor brides had to move her location from a Charlottesville vineyard to a Richmond ballroom, but she was just so cool about it and her pictures were gorgeous despite it not being what she initially planned on for over a year.
Another bride that weekend was getting married outdoors, and not even a hurricane could stop her! She was determined to get married outside in what she called “the mist”, she refused to call it rain haha! She too looked gorgeous and the next day told us that we made her hair “hurricane proof” and that it didn’t move despite the weather!
Rain, shine, or hurricane, you know you can count on the Glammies :)
Preview their online magazine here.